Monday, October 19, 2009

Still workin' on my costume

Yesterday I managed to finish most of my vest (all I need to do now is add the eyelets and lacing, and then fit it). I bought a 3-yd package of polyester boning a couple weeks ago and hoped it would be enough for both mine and my daughter's costumes... after I finished measuring all the boning for my vest last night, there was ONE INCH left over! Very funny, I thought. Talk about close...

Last night I got around to cutting out the fabric for the skirt, hat and shawl. The pattern piece for the skirt is a rectangle that is 22" wide, and it says to cut 3 pieces on the fold. That makes three 44"-wide panels, or a skirt with a 129" circumference (when you take out the seam allowances). My fabric is 60" wide... I went ahead and cut out two panels, the same length as the pattern piece- that'll make a skirt 118" wide, which I don't think is a huge difference (it's not like I'll be wearing it over a hoopskirt or anything). But it saves me about a yard of fabric that I can use for something else. Anyway, the only advantage I can see to having a 3-panel skirt is that it leaves a seam in the back for the opening, and the other seams are on the side fronts. I've decided I can go ahead and move the seams over to the side, and have a side-opening skirt. The pattern also has a few darts in the skirt and then it is gathered... I'll just make it completely gathered, no darts. Hopefully it won't make much difference. (Famous last words, huh?)

The short ends of the shawl are supposed to be frayed for the "fringe"... I thought I'd do that last night while watching TV, and it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r!! I was fraying it on one end, while my husband worked at the other end. We each got about 1" done (out of the 3-4" on each end that needs done) but he wasn't quite as careful with his end as I was with mine... so that one looks noticeably shabbier. *Sigh* But it's taking so much time that I figure I'll just finish everything else first, and then focus on that. So I need to make my skirt and hat (the hat is just a circle gathered onto the hat band) and then make my toddler's entire costume, and then make the apron for my daughter's costume. And the headband for that- yikes! I don't know anything about flower arranging or putting flowers on a headband!

I need to get busy... what am I doing on the computer? LOL! But I have so many other things to do to day- grocery shopping, cleaning the house, keeping my 3-year-old from tearing everything up...

No comments:

Post a Comment