Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My garden

Let me give a quick overview of my garden. I am doing the Square Foot Gardening mewthod using Mel Bartholemew's book. I have six 4'x4' planters, and two 2'x10' planters. In the long skinny planters I have 10 indeterminate tomatoes (1 per square foot) with strawberries right next to them, and in the other planter I'll put canteloupes and small watermelons (1 per 2 sq ft). In my 4'x4' planters I have different varieties of lettuce (Gold Rush, Black Seeded Simpson, Red Flame, heat wave varieties), carrots (Red-cored Chatenay, Thumbelina, Kaleidoscope), bush beans (Italian Rose, Purple Queen, Royal Burgundy), onions (Texas 1015 supersweet), hot peppers (different kinds, including habanero and jalapeno), bell peppers, and garlic. I just planted the garlic today, I hope it's not too late in the season! I'd hope that if the store was selling them, it means it's not too late! Oh, and in one of the 4'x4' planters we put 2 Roma tomato plants, and 2 zucchini plants- that's it. Another 4'x4' planter has yellow summer squash taking up a total of 8 sq ft, and we'll plant the other 8 sq ft with different things.

Today I picked up some Yukon Gold seed potatoes (the ONLY kind I could find, I've tried ordering other kinds online but everywhere seems to be sold out). We have a ton of oak leaves that need raked up, so I'm going to make some Tater Towers out of some plastic poultry netting.

I also have fruit trees/bushes. I have Apache blackberries, dewberries, blueberries (Tifblue- the BEST variety of rabbiteye, and Brightwell), and 12 miniature dwarf apple trees (Delicious, Hawaii, Wealthy and William's Pride), planted on Bud 9 rootstock... I just planted them 2 weeks ago, and they should mature to 4'-6' tall. I have some dwarf citrus trees as well- 2 Improved Meyer Lemon, 1 Seto Satsuma Mandarin, 1 Valencia Orange, and 1 Key Lime. Only one of them- a lemon- has any blossoms so far... I bought that one on clearance at Lowe's for $12.49, a couple weeks after I bought the other ones for $45 apiece from an online nursery (the only one in TX I could find).

That's about it for now... I need to go cook dinner. I'll post pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment