Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Set of 1860's clothes

In the past 2.5 weeks I have made a chemise, a corset, a cage (hoopskirt), a petticoat, and a dress. I intended to make some drawers today but I totally messed up, and gave up on them. Maybe, maybe, maybe I'll get some made by the end of the week, but that's a big maybe.

So, here it is, photos of all the items one at a time. I laced the corset onto the dressform and I didn't want to remove it to photograph the chemise by itself. Sorry. And, once again, please excuse the messy room. That's one of my next projects, cleaning all that up...



Corset and chemise:


With the cage:


And the petticoat:


And the dress, with the corset peeking out:


And, finally, the dress. In person it's just possible to discern the slight shade of pink underneath the dress, but it doesn't really show in the photos. I didn't think it would show at all! Ah well.

6 comments:

  1. Great job, Amy! This really turned out well.

    (If I were not the entire depth of the US away, I'd come help you with your room project, I promise. It's never fun to come back down to life after such a cool project sewing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love it! Are there many opportunities to re-enact where you live?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my area (the eastern half of Texas, I mean) there are opportunities to reenact an average of once a month or so (either a full weekend event or a partial-day activity of some sort)... but I don't reenact right now because I get too stressed out chasing my kids around (anyone who knows my kids will tell you they're way more rambunctious than most, and cannot be distracted by toys, etc), and my husband is currently volunteering with Scouts and between his 60-70 hour workweeks and Scouts on top of that, we don't have time for reenacting. :( Oh well, maybe in a couple years...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great outfit. I am working on an 1810 Regency dress at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I'm glad you left the comment about my woman's clothing tips from TITP being inaccurate on my howtodresslikeapioneer blog. I asked "not Molly" about it (since I really don't have time to research it myself -- and I couldn't get back to you to ask on the ldfr site) and have since removed the post/s. I'm since resolved to correct that info and direct people to accurate info.

    Since people are actually looking at the blog now, I thought I'd better ask you if you'd mind if I put a picture of your gorgeous dress on my blog? If it were just my private blog, I probably wouldn't ask to post something I like, but since people are actually clicking on the blog, I think I better ask permission.

    It is interesting because I guess TITP does have flexibility in their costuming. I know they're striving to be accurate, but I guess they're also practical (like 1 pettycoat in the summer is plenty there for a reenactor, and elastic is definitely ok).

    I started the blog because TITP doesn't have their training on-line, and it would have been helpful to me to find some TITP tips (and links) when I got started there. I'm afraid now that I'm stepping onto historical accuracy grounds, and I'll have to make sure I'm clear on where this blog stands. However, I don't want to act like I'm speaking officially from TITP, either. I wish they'd just put up some stuff! (But I do like putting up pictures of what I've been sewing and I've gotten to know some fun people through the blog.)

    Sorry to ramble on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just discovered your blog today ... and I am sitting here in total and complete awe. That dress is amazing ... as well as everything that goes underneath! I can't imagine making a corset, though I'd certainly like to try someday!

    YOu are gifted! *smile*

    ReplyDelete