Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bubble-gum pink corset

I started this over a week ago, what a chore! The pink twill is a bit heavier and stiffer than what I'm used to using (even after I pre-washed it) so it took me longer to make than usual. I used the now out-of-print Simplicity 7215 corset pattern, which works best for those of us with curvy figures. You'll notice that I have a pink satin ribbon at the top of the corset... I drew it through the top binding, so I could pull the bust area of the corset in some (these hard plastic dressforms do not quite fill these corsets up properly. Ahem.)

It doesn't look as good as I'd hoped because needles that were sturdy enough to go through the fabric punched a hole in it, and I never could get the tension quite right (it's tough when you're going through 4-6 layers of this twill). I've used this pattern twice before, but with lighter and softer twills, and it works great for those.

And I had to use two pairs of shoelaces (tied at the top and bottom) because I did not have any corset lacing! And if I ever use this pattern again, I might put the eyelets 1" apart, instead of the 3/4" apart they currently are... 18 pairs seems a little excessive. To me, anyway (I also don't like placing the eyelets so it'll save me a few minutes of time).

Click for larger images.

Front view:


Side view:


Back view:


Full-length view. Chemise is made from Elizabeth Stewart Clark's free pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment