Monday, January 25, 2010

The dress is finished! Kind of.

I must ask that you please ignore the messy room. :)

I finished the dress on Saturday evening. I was so happy to have it finished... until I realized that the skirt is lopsided! You can't really tell in the photos, but it is one inch longer on one side than it is on the other. D'oh! What happened was that I didn't fold over the top edge of the fabric on the left-hand side (the wearer's left side) before I gauged it. Grr. I'll fix it at some other time. It's a pattern size 12 (34" bust, 26" waist) and it's gonna be a while before I'm there, so I have time to get back to it later.

So... I paid $4.95/yd for this fabric. Took me 7 yards to make the dress. I thought I was getting a decent price. However... the fabric went on sale for $1.99/yd last week! Unbelievable! Just my luck. Of course, the lovely plaid wool I bought for my Halloween costume at $4.95/yd also went on sale for $1.99 three weeks ago. I can't win! (But that's okay, there isn't a lot I can use that wool fabric for anyway... too heavy for a dress...)

Here are some small pics, they're big files so they might take a few seconds to load. Click on the image for a larger view.

Front view:


Side view:


Closer view of the bodice:


Close-up view of the gauging (What is gauging?):

1 comment: