Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My garden is pretty much dead!

This afternoon I got home from a family vacation to Utah... we left on the 8th (10 days ago). I checked the 10-day forecast before we left, and there were a few days that showed a 60% chance of rain. Unfortunately, we did not get a single drop of rain!!! Most of my garden is shrivelled up and brown... everything except the Pink Champagne lisianthus. I went ahead and watered it a little while ago... and now I hear thunder rumbling outside. What luck.

But the good news is... now is the right time to start planting my fall garden.

Fall Vegetable Gardening in East Texas

My back yard though... it looks horrible. There are some weeds back there that are a good 2' tall, and there's a lot of bermudagrass that is about 12" tall (I was surprised, because I didn't think we had enough sunlight back there for bermudagrass). Our reel mower cannot handle the tall grass, and we do not have a rotary mower (the gas or electric kind) so I'm going to call around and see if someone has a weed whacker we can borrow.

I need to get some grass growing in that back yard! Maybe I'll sneak off to Lowe's and pick up a bag of bermudagrass seed...

No comments:

Post a Comment