Monday, August 31, 2009

Cleaning out my pattern stash

Okay, there is a possibility that we *might* be moving in the coming months, so I am trying to declutter. Actually, whether we move or not, I still need to declutter!

I've started with thinning out my pattern collection. I cannot bring myself to get rid of any of my Civil War patterns (though honestly, how many copies of Simplicity 4551 do I really need?) But I did pull out a lot of my historical-based-but-non-authentic Big 3 patterns, most of which are now OOP. I don't know what to do with them now... sell them on Etsy for a buck or two apiece?

I have one copy of Simplicity 8399- the Titanic gown (based on Rose's red beaded gown). Just a couple years ago I remember seeing them go for $25-$30 apiece on eBay... there are still some listed on eBay for $40-$60 but there are also ones listed for $1-$4! And there are a LOT more for sale than there used to be. I also have two copies of Simplicity 9221 (their cheapo Regency gown) that used to go for $10-$20 but they're going for next to nothing now. I'll bet it's because of the economy... people not being able to pay that much for patterns now, and people trying to sell of their "rare" or "in-demand" patterns to try and make some extra cash.

I suppose sometime this week, I can take pictures of all my historic patterns and put them on Etsy, try to earn a few dollars. If I get it done, I'll post a link.

I just posted all my unwanted "modern" patterns on my local Freecycle. Now I'm awaiting the flood of emails. (A lot of people around here try to snatch up everything that's posted on Freecycle, in the hopes of reselling them on eBay or yard sales...)

No comments:

Post a Comment