Friday, July 10, 2009

County Arts & Craft Festival

My county has an Arts & Crafts Festival in mid-September. I hope to enter at least one category. Here is the description in the rules:

CLOTHING

Articles must be completely finished, clean, pressed and like new in appearance. Soiled items will not be accepted. Please bring your own hangers. Items will be judged on fabric selection, neatness, construction (basic sewing techniques) and general appearance.

Class 1: Classic (detailed construction, including menswear)
Class 2: After-Five (soft construction)
Class 3: Sportswear
Class 4: Children’s Wear (through children size 14)
Class 5: Miscellaneous (costumes, etc.)
Class 6: Wearable Art (must have made and/or decorated the item)
a. T-shirts b. Jackets c. Vests d. Miscellaneous


It's very hard to decide exactly what I want to make... I would definitely like to make a historical costume for the Miscellaneous category. But I think I would have to do a bodice/skirt separately and display them on a hanger (as full-length dresses are too long to fit on a clothes rack in most places). What could I make that would look good on a hanger? So much to choose from. I would love to do the Truly Victorian 1883 Riding Habit Jacket and 1883 Riding Habit Skirt, but I cannot find the kind of fabric I want... a dark-colored woven stripe-on-stripe wool... or a cotton twill like that, at the very least. I suppose I will have to keep exploring my options. (I don't even have the patterns... perhaps I ought to stick with something I already have. The Past Patterns Sheer Muslin Dress, perhaps?)

And I could do a kids' item as well. Boy, I'll have a lot of difficult sewing projects this summer, won't I?!

No comments:

Post a Comment