We've been living in this house for 3 years, and we haven't done anything with the yard yet. It doesn't even have any grass (it's a very shady yard, with lots of oak trees in our and our neighbors' yards, and it's hard to get grass growing).
I'm going to start with a little bit of side yard on the north side of the house. It's been buried under dried leaves ever since we moved in... yikes! I raked them all out today, and found the remnants of silk flowers that the bizarre previous owner had "planted" there. Um, okay.
Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to figure out what I want to put there. I lost my measuring tape (hahaha) but I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 4'x8'. Not very large, but I think it's big enough for me to put some sort of decorative object, and accent plants around it. Whatever it is would have to be able to grow in the full shade.
The before (the 'after' will come this spring):

After I took the photo, I tore out all that monkey grass, and raked out enough of the dirt and leaves along the edge to expose the landscaping timber that borders the little area. I hate monkey grass, but I think liriope (another decorative grass) is more attractive. This stuff was in bad shape and needed to be torn out anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment