Monday, March 8, 2010

Bodice is finished

This went together a lot faster than the first bodice I made from this pattern.

I have the skirt pieces cut out and sewn together... what I need to do now is add the hem facing, turn the top edge under (tapered from 6" in the front to 3" in the back), run the gathering stitches for the cartridge pleating, and whip-stitch each cartridge pleat to the waist edge. I can get that all done tomorrow if I neglect my house-cleaning duties, ha ha. I am in no hurry to get this done, though, so maybe I'll just do one step each day.

And I have 2 3/4 yards of this fabric (50" wide) left over... enough to make a Regency gown. I don't know if I'll use it for that... but I can't think of any other uses at the moment.

4 comments:

  1. Amy, I have a couple of questions ~

    * do all the woman that do reenactments, make their own period clothing?

    *do you make period clothing for others?
    *Where and how do you store your dresses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of female reenactors make their own clothes, and a lot of them buy them. It's *much* cheaper to make your own... you can buy a cotton 'wash dress' for $150-$200, or you can make one for 1/10th the price.

    I don't make clothes for others as a general rule... I'm no good when it comes to doing special fittings.

    I keep my dresses on regular hangers in my closet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, I quite like that. Is it going to be for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Amy! I was just wondering!

    ReplyDelete