Everything is doing well, except for the lettuce and tomatoes. Something is eating the peppers, the beans, the zucchini (which seems to be their favorite), the cantaloupes, and possibly the lettuce. (The lettuce does not stand up well to our Texas thunderstorms, and sometimes it will be there one day and gone the next, so I assume something is eating it). It's frustrating as heck. I would spray with some insecticidal soap, but... don't you actually have to see the bugs for it to work?? I can find out WHAT is eating the plants, but do I have to spray the bugs themselves? Or will spraying the plants keep the bugs away? (I feel so stupid for not knowing!)
And still, only 3 of my 12 miniature dwarf apple tree benchgrafts have sprouted. It's been TWO MONTHS! I planted them in groups of 3 (total of 4 groups of 3 each, that is) and if only 3 are going to sprout, I don't know what I'll do. It'll look stupid to have a couple scraggly trees there, I'd rather tear them out and move some thing else to there (dwarf fruit trees in containers, maybe), but it'll be a waste of the $130 I spent on those trees.
(Oh yes, I forgot to say... Burpee replaced my lisianthus that had been damaged, and the replacements came in yesterday. I planted them yesterday evening).
Anyway, here are a few pictures. Click for a little bit bigger image. The caption for each photo is just beneath the photo (instead of above).
An almost-ripe dewberry! This thing is huge, it's the size of a quarter!
More dewberries. Awesome! I'll have to keep a really close eye on them as they ripen, and make sure the birds don't get them. (I suppose I ought to have bird netting on hand, just in case).
One of my 4'x4' planters. They're all pretty much the same, except the one that has zucchini & Roma tomatoes (the zucchinis look awful, like I said- something's been eating their leaves).
The pretty purple flowers on my Royal Burgundy bush beans.
Beans!! These are the pods on my Tendergreen Improved bush beans. I think they're supposed to be harvested at 5"-6" long, they're currently about 2" long. Wild estimation, anyway.
Lemons! Looks like it'll be a loooong time before these guys are ripe.
Oh those baby lemons are so adorable! The dewberries look lovely as well. We have also had tons of rain, and it has been so wet we only got our garden in last week. The turnips are up already though! Hopefully after all this rain we had we'll get some nice days of warm sun to help things along.
ReplyDelete