Thursday, June 10, 2010

Swimdress is finished!

I've been meaning to make one of these for the past three years, and I've only just now gotten around to it! (I made one three years ago but didn't like the fabric that much, so I only wore it once).

I used the Modest Swimwear Pattern from Fashionably Modest Patterns. I found this particular swimwear fabric on eBay (search for 'swimwear fabric')... but I have a few other lengths of swimwear fabric (nylon/Lycra) that I purchased from Fabric.com.

The pattern calls for 2.5 yds of 60" swimwear fabric, but with careful layout I can use about 1.5 yards... I'll have to draw up a sketch to explain. I'll do that later. And it says it needs 1 yd of swimwear lining fabric, but I use less than that, too.

Lycra swimwear fabric is surprisingly easy to work with. It's a little bit slinky so you have to keep that in mind, and be sure to use a ballpoint or universal needle (I use the latter).

And no, the swimdress is not loose-fitting... it just looks that way because one of the adjustment dials on my dressform broke, and I cannot adjust it to my size, LOL.

2 comments:

  1. Amy, I just had a lovely time going through your blog. Your talent is amazing. And your choices of patterns and fabrics are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this with others. Mary (aka LDFR Mary24)

    ReplyDelete