The collar pieces are cut lengthwise, so the stripes of the collar are pretty much horizontal (shirt stripes themselves are vertical). I paid attention when cutting out the pockets to make sure they would line up with the stripes on the shirt, and I didn't pay much attention to the collar... I only checked that the pattern piece was straight with the stripes on the fabric.
So I just got done making the collar, and was getting ready to attach it to the neckline of the shirt. Then I noticed that Ulysses S. Grant's image is on the end of the collar... so when my husband wears the shirt, Grant is going to be sitting just above the lapel on the right-hand side!
Should've paid better attention, I guess. I don't have any more fabric to cut it out again! Maybe he won't notice, or maybe he'll like the shirt so much he won't care. Maybe he'll find a nice Bonnie Blue Flag pin to stick right in the middle of Grant's face (he doesn't like Grant, for no good reason other than his anti-Union bias... but if he was living up north instead of here in Texas, he'd probably like Grant).
UPDATE
I'm mostly done with the shirt now (just hemming and buttonholes/buttons left to do) and it looks both interesting and odd with Mr. Grant's face there on the corner of the collar. It looks deliberate!
No comments:
Post a Comment