Sunday, September 20, 2009

Making skirts for my daughter

I've sewn skirts before for my 8-year-old daughter, but now I have to. She's gained a lot of weight in the last year (she eats a LOT and refuses to do any activity, despite my efforts to bring healthy food into the house and trying to get her to be active... even putting her dishes in the sink when she's done eating is too much... sorry that sounds mean, but I am frustrated). She is 4'3" tall and 95 pounds... about 30 pounds more than she ought to weigh. I bought some size 10.5 (plus) shorts for her online... and they are way too tight. I have to buy her size 14.5 to fit her! But... most of the plus-size girls' clothes I can find are school uniforms! There are a few other things, but not anything I can afford. And I got frustrated looking for plus-size girls' sewing patterns because most of the stuff is immodest. Still, I did manage to find a couple, and have put them on my sewing list to pick up if I am at JoAnn's (80 miles away) or Hobby Lobby (45 miles away) at the same time they are having a pattern sale.

She got mad at me this morning, as we were getting ready for church, and had the nerve to yell at me because she couldn't find anything to fit her! What, as if all this is *my* fault? She asks me for a milkshake every time we go anywhere (which I do NOT get her), she steals food out of the pantry and sneaks it into her room to eat, she screams whenever I ask her to do anything (trying to get her off the couch), and yet it is somehow my fault that her clothes don't fit. Or who knows, maybe she was yelling at me out of frustration on her own part, I can't imagine she likes being overweight... the kids at school make fun of her about it all the time. (Someone told me, "Well, it's just a part of socialization that she needs to learn to deal with"... yeah right. No kid should have to go through this. I was overweight as a kid- not as overweight as my daughter- but I still hated all the name-calling and getting shoved around. Didn't do me a bit of good as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I need to make her some skirts, so she has something to wear to church. I figured tiered skirts will be the easiest. I have some new T-shirts I picked up from Hobby Lobby ages ago, I can take scraps from the skirt fabric and make little appliques to stitch onto the coordinating shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment