Thursday, June 25, 2009

Why can't I grow lettuce?

I was out in the garden yesterday. Onions are ready to harvest, jalapenos are ready, there are some tomatoes starting to form, the carrots are looking okay, the bean plants are starting to die out so I need to plant some more...

But for some reason, I have not been able to grow lettuce! I planted 4-5 different varieties in March and April, and they all grew a teensy bit and then died. Frustrating! Everything else has grown, but not the lettuce. (Oh wait, the Swiss Chard didn't do so well, either...)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I linked here from s/s forums. My lettuce grows best when I don't thin it until it really starts to get a full row of lettuce, then I start to thin it down to the individual "heads" so that they have room to become very full. Also, if you pick off the leaves instead of uprooting the whole lettuce it will continue to grow.
    Since you are in Texas it might be that it is just too hot right now. Lettuce doesn't like full sun on hot days, full sun on cool days is great but the hot days produce wilted, bitter leaves.
    Also, add sand to your soil matrix, that helps a lot! If I remember right you have a lot of clay in that area.
    Hope this helps! Glad to have found your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually since I moved, I now have sandy loam. But I'm doing Square Foot Gardening so I have the compost/peat moss/vermiculite. The lettuce started growing okay at first, but then we started getting a bunch of thunderstorms that hammered it good...

    I'll try again this fall. At least my beans are doing very well...

    ReplyDelete